Date(s) - 07/27/2019 - 08/04/2019
Scroll to bottom to start the registration process
Off to Alaska…. This is an amazing opportunity to support Covenant Bible Camp. The Camp serves around 400 campers each year from over 50 different villages. Bible Camp exists to serve the young people of Western Alaska through four means:
Fellowship: Bible Camp is a place where campers gather to enjoy the love of Christ with one another. Everyone is welcome.
Worship: Campers gather together to worship God every day at morning and evening chapel. Campers engage in worship and have opportunities to develop their abilities to share their faith in testimonies, prayer, and through the reading of Scriptures.
Play: Every morning and evening the campers play really fun games and laugh hard.
Serve: After every meal, campers and staff work together to do chores to keep camp going. For many campers this becomes one of the favorite times of bonding as a cabin.
Alaska has an extremely unforgiving climate and it takes a huge tole on the buildings that make up this amazing Camp. In the Camp’s off season Helping Hands will be heading up to Alaska to help with maintenance and complete several other tasks such as building bunk beds, insulating walls and installing siding. We would love to have you as part of the team. To get more information please register below and we will reach out to you as soon as possible.
What You Should know
Where are we going?
Unalakleet, Alaska sits on the shore of Norton Sound in the Bering Sea south of Nome. With a population around 650, 77% are of native descent. The Bible Camp reaches out to 50 native villages and communities throughout Alaska where the teen suicide rate is one of the highest in the world. These young people need hope, hope that Christ brings.
Unemployment in these rural communities is about 70%.
Subsistence or living off the land, is critical as well as cultural. Theirs is an isolated lifestyle with most villages having no roads in or out. They rely on dogsleds, snow machines, small bush planes, ATVS and boats depending on the season.
What are we going to do?
This project includes –
– Insulating and paneling the interior of 2 new cabins
– Installing a wood and an oil stove
– Building arctic entry ways and porches.
– Building 12 bunk beds as well as other tasks and maintenance projects that may arise.
What do I need to bring?
- Sleeping bag & pillow, fitted sheet (twin)
- Bath towel, soap, shampoo, and other personal items
- Work clothes
- A jacket, sweater, and appropriate layered clothing and footwear for the weather
- Alarm clock & ear plugs (if light sleeper)
- $30 – $50 spending money. – occasionally we go to town to make purchases and the town’s credit card machines are down
- Hand Sanitizer and/or baby wipes
- Tennis shoes or work shoes (no bare feet at any time)
- Work gloves, water bottle, flashlight/headlamp
- NON AEROSOL BUG REPELLENT
- Inflatable air mattress or pad if you need a softer bed
- Decent rain gear and rubber boots * $1.99 poncho will just shred out there, bring a good set of rain gear
- Shower shoes
- Medication – there is no quick fix if you forget your meds!
- An ice chest or cooler
- Your own personal snacks for the week stored in your cooler (mice and other critters could be present)
- Personal water bottle
Optional items –
Mosquito head net
Alaska Fishing licenses may be purchased online prior to your trip (contact Robin for more information)
3 day Alaska fishing license is $45 day Alaska fishing license is $70
(Later Robin will tell those who register how to purchases these licenses online.)
Salmon fishing gear – 10-12# test Call or text Robin for more info on this!
Vacuum seal bags to freeze your salmon in and ice chest to transport your catch home
MOST TOOLS ARE PROVIDED BY THE CAMP – if you have a favorite tool and must bring it, you may do so.
Are vaccinations required?
No vaccines are required for the trip, but we suggest you check with your own health clinic.
The suggested vaccines are:
- Current Tetanus
What is the smoking and drinking policy?
If you are 18 years old or older there will be a designated area to smoke.
No one under 18 will be allowed to smoke.
All alcohol consumption is prohibited on this trip.