Malawi, AfricaAvailable Trip Dates: TBA, 2020
Thank you for your interest in joining Helping Hands International on our next service project to Malawi, Africa! Below is an overview of the trip, including important information like costs, dates, and a detailed list of activities. Please contact us if you have any questions!
Where are we going?
Malawi, Africa! This is a landlocked country in southeastern Africa and is defined by its topography of highlands split by the Great Rift Valley and enormous Lake Malawi. The lake’s southern end falls within Lake Malawi National Park – sheltering diverse wildlife from colorful fish to baboons – and its clear waters are popular for diving and boating. Helping Hands International partners with a long term missionary from Ashland Christian Fellowship to carry out village outreach and miscellaneous projects at the base.
How to Register
Click here for the three step Trip Registration process!
Please note, the completed online application and deposit are due three months prior to departure and the final payment is due one month prior to departure.
Cost $800 per person, excluding airfare
Available Trip Dates
- TBA, 2020
Overview of Service Opportunities/Activities
- Outreach – Reaching out to local villagers and assisting on miscellaneous projects at the base.
Day 1: Travel
Day 2: Outreach Activities
Day 3: Outreach Activities
Day 4: Outreach Activities
Day 5: Outreach Activities
Day 6: Travel
Lodging and Food
- The team usually stays in a small guest home near the mission base. Food is typically prepared by the team and/or a local cook.
Items to Bring
- Bedding: pillow, fitted sheet, alarm clock and ear plugs (if a light sleeper) etc.
- Bath: bath towel, soap, shampoo, toothbrush and toothpaste, personal items, flip flops for shower etc.
- Cloths: work clothes, one nice (not dressy) outfit for church, jacket and/or sweater (cold at night), work gloves, bandanna or hat
- Shoes: tennis or work shoes are preferred (e.g. no bare feet at any time) etc.
- Other: baby wipes, camera, flashlight, hand sanitizer, sunscreen and water bottle etc.
- No undergarments showing at any time
- Dresses/skirts for outreach should be mid-calf to ankle
- No tank tops, low-cut, scoop neck or tight fitting shirts (e.g. no showing bellies) for the girls; sleeveless is ok
Health & Vaccination Requirements
Please click here for vaccination requirements and/or recommendations made by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We also suggest you check with your personal health clinic or physician regarding what vaccines or medicines you may require while participating on this service project. Please note, if you do take prescription medicines, please check with your local pharmacist to ensure the medicines are not considered a controlled substance in the location you are traveling.
Get in Touch
Have general questions or comments you would like to share with Helping Hands International Staff? Simply complete this form and an HHI member will contact you shortly!